If you’ve got a closet full of clothing that doesn’t fit or isn’t flattering, you don’t have to dump it all at the thrift store drop-off. There’s another solution: upcycle it! That old clothing is actually like having an extra stash of fabric, ready to be sewn!
Whether you convert it into something more wearable for you or turn it into something completely different, the possibilities are endless with a few old clothes and a little imagination.
Clothing too small? Here are some creative ways to make it fit!
Too Big: Take it in, make it new!
7. Frumpy to comfy hoodie (pictured)
10. Oversize dress refashion (pictured)
11. Oversize shirt to maternity top (pictured)
13. Oversize tee to dress super cute!
14. Sweatshirt liposuction looks so comfy!
Cover it Up: Got a stain or a tear? Here are some clever ways to cover it up and keep wearing the item!
16. Cardigan embellishment pictured
17. Decoupage shoes very cool!
18. DIY Dottie jeans
19. Easy lace shirt
20. Elbow patches pictured
22. Lace inset jeans my daughter would love these
23. Patch t-shirt
24. Pattern Pop tee
Make it New: It used to be a T-shirt, now it’s your favorite skirt! An old button-down becomes a new blouse. Make it new, make it YOU!
27. 10-minute skirt pictured
28. Baby bib
29. Baby romper
30. Baby sweater
31. Braided T-shirt belt pictured
35. Fingerless mittens pictured
36. Girl’s Nightgown
37. Kid hats
38. Kids lounge pants these are great!
41. Pencil skirt
42. Peplum t-shirt
45. Rocker shirt pictured
46. Shift Dress
47. Swants (sweater pants) pictured
48. Sweater boots
49. Sweater mittens
51. Sweater skirt
53. Three Tees Dress pictured
55. Toddler dress
56. Toddler Skirt
60. T-shirt into strappy tank I LOVE these!
62. T-shirt panties
Raid his closet: Raid a man’s closet and make his clothes into something new for yourself or someone else.
68. Colorblock dress
69. Crop top
70. Dolman tee
75. Necktie cuff bracelet very cool!
76. Necktie headband
77. Plaid top
78. Polo refashion
79. Quilted Tote
80. Shirt dress WOW, you would never guess this was a refashion!
81. Suited vest pictured
82. Sweater dress
83. Tie necklace
84. T-shirt leggings
Switch It Up: You don’t have to make your clothes into more clothes – there are plenty of other ways to upcycle it into something else entirely.
85. Animal softie
87. Denim coasters
90. Foot pouf
91. Memory quilt
92. Oven mitt
93. Rag rug
94. Ruffle bag pictured
95. Sweater garland
96. Sweater kitty
97. Sweater pillows SO pretty!
98. Toiletry bag
99. T-shirt bag pictured
100. T-shirt yarn
101. Wall pocket panel pictured
Further reading …
The Anatomy of an Upcycled Sweater – 8 projects from one thrift-store find!
This is one of those posts you will want to refer to over and over again for different ways to upcycle your clothing. So, don’t forget to PIN THIS for easy finding!
Still want more???? Check out these fantastic rounds up with crazy inspiration to help keep you stitching!
Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft?
If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving! Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free download with newsletter sign up. Another great way to connect with me is via Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ or Follow along with Bloglovin. I’m looking forward to getting to know you and creating together!