Keepin’ It Super Simple!
Put those pins away and try these sewing weights when making your next project!
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- black eyed peas
- metal washers (yes, go raid the hardware store!)
- Cut two large hearts from fabric. For interest, I added a smaller heart applique to the center. Click here for the fabric applique tutorial.
- Once applique is applied to heart, I added a decorative blanket stitch all around for interest. Any type of stitching is fine here, even zig zag.
- Align front and back together with right sides facing each other, pin in place. Remember that these pieces are small and tend to shift in sewing if not pinned together. Using 1/4″ seam allowance, start just above the point on a straight section, single needle top stitch. Stitch all around leaving about 1 1/4″ opening. *Be sure to back stitch at start and stop.
- Clip point and all around curved areas. Turn hearts right side out and press. A word to the wise here, pressing is important! Very important. Not only does it “lock” your stitches in place but if you press your seam allowance under in the “open” area, your hand stitching will be much easier.
- To fill the hearts, make a paper cone from the bottom scrap of paper heart pattern. Insert into opening and fill with peas. I tend to overfill, I like the hearts to be fat. Be sure to slip in a few washers for added weight.
- Slip stitch the open section closed and you are all set!