Earth Day is right around the corner and I wanted to create something fun for the girls to wear to school. So, it was time for a new appliqué collection.
Earth Day Appliqué Design
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- fabric scraps
- embroidery thread
- Pellon Wonder-Under or other paper backed fusible interface
- surface to apply appliqué (I used a tee shirt)
- Earth Day appliqué design template
- iron & press cloth
- sewing machine or needle & thread are optional
- Print design template sheet and trace the Earth Day Design onto the paper side of fusible. Leave about 1/2″ between each piece. *Remember to use the mirror image as it will be turned once applied to your surface.
- Cut out pieces of fusible leaving about 1/4″ all around.
- Following the fusible directions, apply fusible to the wrong side of fabric with a dry iron. Repeat for each section of appliqué.
- Cut out shapes neatly on traced lines. * Cutting counts here.
- Peel paper backing of fusible off; position on project and fuse in place with iron. *Note appliqué is applied in layers.
- If desired, edge stitch around each piece with a decorative stitch.
- For an additional detail, I added an embroidered stitch for the rocket ships travels with a simple running stitch.
* This fabric appliqué is so easy to make and does not require sewing.
Are you interested in more fabric appliqués? Well, your in luck, there are several on the blog! Check out: Wonky Fleur, Peacock, Fox, Love and New Kid in Town. Fabric appliqués are a great way to freshen up an old tee shirt and that is the perfect way to reuse!
ps- This design is part of the ‘Out of this World‘ design template pattern available in the shop. Pattern includes aliens, spaceships, rockets and more.