Does the thought of making a skirt scare you? Well, let me fix that!
Today, I am going to show you how to make a simple skirt in 15 minutes flat. What, you don’t believe me? Let me show you how.
Oh and ps- NO paper pattern is required! Like I said, this is one super simple skirt that stitches together in a flash!
Super Simple Skirt
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- 1″ elastic (love this colored elastic by Dritz)
- sewing machine
- tape measure
- iron and ironing board
1. Measure around your body at the widest part of your hips; add 1″ for ease and seam allowance. Determine the finished length from natural waist; add 1 1/2″ for hem and seam allowance. This is your pattern. Cut fabric.
2. Fold fabric matching right sides and straight stitch from waist to hem, this will form a tube. Press seam open.
3. To create hem, fold and press 1/2″ up and repeat for a clean finish. Straight stitch hem line and set skirt aside.
4. Wrap elastic around your natural waist; add 1″ for overlap and cut. Join elastic together by overlapping and stitching with straight stitch. *tip- use matching thread.
5. Divide your elastic and skirt waist into 4 equal parts; mark with pins. Overlap the elastic on top of skirt fabric by 1/2″ and straight stitch in place. You will notice that the skirt is larger than the elastic. While stitching, you will need to slightly stretch the elastic to meet the skirt marking. Repeat all around skirt. *tip- I suggest stitching directly on top of the elastic, this is side that will be visible. Be sure to match thread to elastic.
Now how is that for fast! This is one super simple skirt and you will be wearing it in 15 minutes.
Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft?
If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving! Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free embroidery pattern with newsletter sign up.