Simple Skirt in 15 minutes

Does the thought of making a skirt scare you?  Well, let me fix that! Today, I am going to show you how to make a simple skirt in 15 minutes flat. What, you don’t believe me? Let me show you how. Oh and ps- NO paper pattern is required! Like I said, this is one super simple skirt that stitches together in a flash!

Super Simple Skirt

Simple Skirt | The Sewing Loft

This project is for all levels.

Skill Level- 1 Button

Supplies:

Tools:

• sewing machine
  • pins
  • scissors
  • tape measure
  • iron and ironing board

Basic Instructions:

1. Measure around your body at the widest part of your hips; add 1″ for ease and seam allowance.  Determine the finished length from natural waist; add 1 1/2″ for hem and seam allowance. This is your pattern. Cut fabric.

2. Fold fabric matching right sides and straight stitch from waist to hem, this will form a tube. Press seam open. Simple Skirt Instructions | The Sewing Loft 3. To create hem, fold and press 1/2″ up and repeat for a clean finish. Straight stitch hem line and set skirt aside.

4. Wrap elastic around your natural waist; add 1″ for overlap and cut. Join elastic together by overlapping and stitching with straight stitch. *tip- use matching thread. Simple Skirt Instructions | The Sewing Loft 5. Divide your elastic and skirt waist into 4 equal parts; mark with pins. Overlap the elastic on top of skirt fabric by 1/2″ and straight stitch in place.  You will notice that the skirt is larger than the elastic.  While stitching, you will need to slightly stretch the elastic to meet the skirt marking.  Repeat all around skirt.  *tip- I suggest stitching directly on top of the elastic, this is side that will be visible.  Be sure to match thread  to elastic. Simple Skirt | The Sewing Loft

Now how is that for fast! This is one super simple skirt and you will be wearing it in 15 minutes.

The Sewing Loft

Looking for more easy skirts to fill your closet? Check out knock it off or this quick summer skirt for the little princess in your life.

Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft? If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving!  Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free embroidery pattern with newsletter sign up. Another great way to connect with me is via FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+ or Follow my blog with Bloglovin.  I’m looking forward to getting to know you and creating together!

Comments

1. I love it Heather!!!! Pinned it!

2. Michele N says:

Is the fabric a cotton or a knit? It is a very cute skirt and I could see many in my daughter’s future, I’m not a big skirt wearer.

• It is a woven cotton blend with a slight stretch. I picked it up at my local JoAnn’s. These prints are super cute and make a great impact with your basic tee.
      ~Heather

3. I love the wardrobe basics, skirts can be so easy and the fabric you have picked really makes it look special. Great job.

4. Awesome tutorial Heather! I’ll have to try this. :)

5. I will definitely have to try this! I am in love with skirts this summer. Who knew they could be so comfortable! And my hubby isn’t complaining either! Thank you!

6. Thank you for this! I am loving skirts this summer and this looks like so much fun to whip up. I will definitely be trying this!

7. This looks so cute!! I’ll have to make a few.

8. Lis Martion says:

Sew quick and easy, thank you for this.. :)

9. Hi, I came over from Dreaming In Color. Love the skirt, I think my Grand daughter could do this.
    Thanks, Faye

10. Cute, cute, cute!

11. Anna (sixtyfourcolorbox) says:

I just bought that same fabric!

12. What a great and easy way to make a skirt. Love the colored elastic. I will have to look for that next time I go to the fabric store.

13. This is really gorgeous! thank you for sharing!

14. Another great tutorial Heather! I’ve made skirts like this for my girls – super easy and so comfortable too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

15. Hi Heather,
    This is super cute, but I’m a bit confused on what two pieces am I cutting from the fabric? Am I supposed to cut two pieces that are as wide as my hips and as long as I want? I’m a sewer, but I feel stupid when it comes to clothing. :-)

• Let’s clear that up right away Sarah! You only need to cut one piece of fabric that is the total circumference of your hips plus seam allowance. If you are lining the skirt, you will need to cut an additional layer.

I hope that clears things up and that you share a photo of your super cute skirt in our flickr group!
      ~Heather

16. This is a very lovely skirt. How would I could do it… But, MY 15 minutes are nos YOUR 15 minutes…This skirt could take me one month!!! JAJAJA!!!!

17. Congrats!! You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer!! YAY! Come on over and grab your featured button, you deserve it :)

18. Ebony Arts says:

Is the skirt inside out the whole time. Is the elastic sewed to the inside of the skirt or the outside?

19. Hi! Super cute! One question when you wear the skirt – is it intended for the elastic to fold in and down against your skin so you don’t see the elastic? Or do you keep the elastic up and you can see it? Hard to tell how you are wearing it from the pics. Thanks!

• Hello Lorna,
      The elastic is visible on the body. That is why I selected the fun color to match my fabric. However, if you do not like this look you can fold over the top edge to create a tunnel and slip your elastic through. Hope that helps.
      ~Heather

20. Very nice and simple tutorial. One of the best I’ve seen.

21. Great tutorial! I tweaked it a little to make it a maternity skirt and added some horizontal pleats along the bottom. Love it!

22. This is like the first skirt I ever made when I was ten years old , nearly 55 years ago, but mine had an elastic waistband in a casing. I recently saw the exact kind of green fabric (except mine was not permanent press!) and have decided I have to make another one of those skirts in that green! I may try some other colors too and plan to use the kind of waist you have here with the colored elastic. Thanks for the memories!

23. this skirt is just beautiful! Amazing creativity and craft!

Ananasa.com- Home For handmade

24. Thanks for the tutorial! I didn’t have quite enough to make a one seam skirt in the fabric I wanted to use, and I am plus size,so I just cut half the width I needed plus two seam allowances via the entire width of the fabric and then sliced it down the middle. Two side seams and the rest was how you did it! This is the first piece of clothing I’ve made in years and the first thing I’ve made for myself in a long time! :D

25. I made the skirt and I LOVE it ! I made it out of stretch denim. I applique a flower, on the front right leg of the skirt and left a little split in the back, with a matching small bow at the top of the split. A course I made a simple top, that made it a whole matching suit. Thank you sew much Heather ! for showing me how to make this skirt.

26. I tried this today – perfect! Thanks!

27. I had some really cute fabric that I wanted to make a skirt with so I started my search for skirt patterns. This is the first one I opened, and the fabric I have is the exact fabric in the pics! :-) I think this skirt was meant to be for me!

• Fantastic Rebecca! We just made another skirt today for my daughter. She wanted something “new” for school. I reminded her that having a mom who sews is not such a bad gig!
      ~Heather

28. I was doing great until the elastic. The top is all puffy. Looks terrible. Any advice?

• Oh No Debbe! Is the elastic making it puffy or is it puffy when you are wearing it?
      ~Heather

• Just wanted to say I fixed my elastic problem and the skirt came out great. Wore it to work last week and got two compliments immediately. I’m definitely making another!

• That is awesome Deb!! So excited you liked it. I picked up a bunch of fabric on line to make a few more for my girls. It is perfect for the summer!
          ~Heather

29. So glad this popped up on my FB feed this morning, I’m going through all my fabrics and I have some really cute spring/summer prints that I was wondering what do with, Also have tons of colored elastics picked up at yard sale a few years ago, I see several summer skirts in my wardrobe, Thank you so much for all your gread ideas

30. Hi.

will the skirt work if I use non-stretchy cotton fabric? (Or will it be impossible to get on and off!?)

Thanks, Rosy.

• Hello Rosy,
      Working with a cotton (non stretch fabric) will work just fine. You need to wrap the fabric around the widest part of your body and add ease to create. For me, that is my hips. This point of measure will allow you to slip the skirt on and off without any issue.
      Can’t wait to see what your skirt looks like!
      ~Heather

31. Hello. I’m just seeing this pattern-posted on face book today from the daily sew. I don’t recall what type of fabric used. Maybe I missed it. Thanks anyone that can answer. :-)

32. Thank you, trying this one, looks so easy

33. Linda T. says:

Made this in 1/2 hour. Thank you. I will make more for myself and adult daughters.

34. I have been looking for a simple skirt to make for a trip I’m taking this summer. This looks like i have found it! Thank you!

• So excited Lisa! Please be sure to share a few photos of your finished skirt!! I would love to see how it turns out and what fabric you selected.
      ~Heather

35. This skirt will be perfect for my 2 grandgts who are spending summer in Hawaii . Can’t wait to start.

36. WOW! I love this, now I can have a cool skirt of every color & or print I want!
    Thank you sooooooo much, you are a genius!

37. Patricia says:

I made it Heather! And just in time it take to the Oregon coast … Though it may be a mite chilly! Thanks so much for the inspiration

38. What size are your seams? Thank you.

• Hello Marilyn,
      I use 3/8″ seam allowance. The last quarter is for ease and movement.

I can’t wait to see what you create!
      ~Heather

39. Paulette says:

Back in 1970s I worked for Hardees. The uniform was a short button up top with pockets on each side of the front, very uniform looking in bright orange. We had to wear white skirts, not furnished to complete. I use to buy a yard of 36 in wide fabric, open it up, cut in half, add elastic to one end to fit my waist, sew up the one seam for the back and put a shirt tail hem in it to keep from raverling….voila!! 2 skirts for the cost of 1 yard of material and could make them in about an hour…..