Decorative pillows are a great way to infuse style in your home without buying new furniture and the zipper pillow cover is a great way to transform your space on a shoe string budget! Once you get past the nerves of installing the zipper, this pillow cover is a breeze.
Zipper Pillow Cover
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
*To keep things easy, all supplies are based on a 16″ square pillow form.
- 1/2 yard fabric (love this print by Modern Yardage)
- 20″ zipper
- sewing machine/thread
- zipper foot
- basic sewing supplies
1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric 17″ square. This will allow 1/2″ all around seam allowance. Attach the zipper foot to your machine.
2. Leaving your zipper closed; position and pin tape to the right (printed) side of fabric. Straight stitch in place. The zipper foot will allow you to get the seam very close to the zipper teeth. Open your zipper; repeat steps and sew along the other side of zipper. *Make sure the zipper teeth are aligned.
3. Pull zipper about halfway closed; line up fabrics and pin in place. Change back to your standard machine foot and stitch all around with a simple straight stitch. Be sure to back stitch over the zipper and lock everything in place.
4. Clip the corners; press and turn right side out. Press again.
5. Insert your pillow form, zip closed and toss on a comfy chair.
Presto – chango, instant change. Zipper pillow covers create a big impact, on a small budget and in little time.
ps- if you want to make the pillow cover fancy be sure to check how to add custom piping in 4 easy steps.
Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft?
If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving! Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free embroidery pattern with newsletter sign up.