Did you know that The Sewing Loft offers a variety of PDF sewing patterns? Visit The Sewing Loft pattern shop today and download one for instant sewing gratification!
Today we’ve got a recommendation for a quick and easy DIY Valentine’s Day gift that’s sure to please. This handmade gift is perfect for your children, their teachers, your friends and family members alike. You can whip up this adorable owl mug rug using Valentine prints (or any scraps you have lying around your sewing room!) in under an hour for a gift that gives a lot of joy in just a little sewing time.
Owl Eye Mug Rug
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
Materials you’ll need for this project:
- Owl Eyes Mug Rug pattern by The Sewing Loft, available here
- large fabric scrap 7.5″ x 9.5″ (for our sample rug this is the black and white mini print)
- quilt batting 7.5″ x 9.5″
- assorted small fabric or felt scraps
- 2 buttons or snaps
- 36″ of binding (want to make your own? It’s easy!)
- paper-backed fusible interfacing
- sewing machine
- scissors, rotary cutter
- iron/ironing board
- thread, pins, scissors, iron
- hand sewing needle and thread
Gift-Giving Ideas for the Owl Eyes Mug Rug:
1. Pair the mug rug with a cute Valentine’s mug filled with Valentine’s Day candies or packets of hot cocoa or tea.
2. Add a small hanger or loop of ribbon to the mug rug and use it as a mini quilt decoration for your wall.
3. Sew a small pocket on the back of the mug rug and slip a gift card inside it.
4. Use the mug rug as the center of a larger quilt block and sew a Valentine-themed quilt for someone you love!
5. Use double-sided iron-on interfacing to applique the mug rug to a tote bag.
Don’t worry if traditional Valentine colors aren’t your thing, this mug looks adorable in any combination of colors and prints! Check out this one:
This pattern is suitable for sewists of all levels, so don’t be afraid to try it even if this is your first quilting project! The pattern will walk you through the whole project, step by step.
ps- did you “spy” those cute owl Valentine’s day printables? Well, not only are they included in the pattern but the Owl Eye Valentine’s Day printables are free for you to download. Just print, cut and address. Googly eyes are optional.
Free Valentine’s Day Printables
What ideas do you have for using the adorable Owl Eyes Mug Rug for Valentine’s Day or any other gift-giving event? We’d love to hear them – share in the comments below! If you make a mug rug of your own, post a photo in The Sewing Loft Flickr pool so we can all see your gorgeous work!
Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft?
If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving! Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free embroidery pattern with newsletter sign up. Another great way to connect with me is via Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+ or Follow my blog with Bloglovin. I’m looking forward to getting to know you and creating together!