- A ruler with a slider that typically measures 6″ long. It is most commonly used for measuring short spaces such as hems in sewing.
Sewing Gauge Details:
- The adjustable slider on the ruler provides precise measurements.
- The ruler is marked with inches on one side and centimeters on the other side.
- Common hem and seam allowances are marked along the ruler.
Stats, Tips & Fun Facts:
- Use this handy tool to check for hem depth, as well as marking crisp corners when quilting or sewing.
- When sewing buttonholes using a sewing gauge will help check to make sure layers line up.
- A sewing gauge is essential when sewing curved hems, and drawing scallops.
- This sewing gadget can also be used to evenly mark spacing for tucks and pleats.
- When attaching hanging trim, a sewing gauge can be helpful in ensuring that the trim hangs evenly.
- Even though this special tool was created for sewing it can also be used to draw precise lines on paper, and it’s sometimes used in woodworking.
- You can purchase a sewing gauge in the “sewing notions” part of your local sewing store or here on-line.
Click on the pictures below to learn more ways to incorporate using a sewing gauge for your next project.
Hello! Are you new here?
Do you want to learn more about sewing? If so, be sure to sign up for our newsletter HERE and never miss a stitch! Daily Sewing Tips, Everyday Projects and Fantastic Inspiration delivered straight to your mailbox!
Bonus– free download with newsletter sign up.