Valentine’s Day Appliqué
This project is for stitchers of all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- Tea Towel
- fabric scraps
- double-sided fusible
- ribbon or lace trim
- sewing machine
- To achieve the clean finished double layer of lace trim, I cut lace 1″ longer than the width of my towel. Then, position the right side of top lace to the wrong side of bottom lace layer. Straight stitch along the edge, turn and press. This will give you two layers of lace with a clean finished top edge.
- Position and stitch lace in place with a straight machine stitch. Be sure to fold back the lace at the start and stop of trim for a clean finish.
- Stitch and press your fabric scraps together to create one large piece of patchwork fabric using this method. Trace your appliqué design in the reverse or mirror image, on to your double-sided fusible. Carefully cut out appliqué.
- Position and iron your Valentine’s Day Appliqué in place according to the fusible instructions. With contrast thread, stitch all around the edge of appliqué with a decorative stitch. I used the blanket stitch for this project.
- Apply a fun button or trim detail to the center of the heart with the button lockstitch on your machine.
Since these towels are so simple to make, I stitched up a batch and sent them out as gifts. Fingers crossed Mom is not peeking because one is headed her way! I hope she likes it.
Join me and the rest of the Cool2Craft team Monday, January 21, 2013 for more fun Valentine’s Day inspired projects. I will be sharing additional tips and easy tricks for this easy Valentine’s Day Appliqué towel.