- a cutout decoration fastened to a larger piece of material
The word applique is French, the past participle form of the verb appliquer (to put on). An applique is a decorative element added to a sewn item, such as:
- shirt pockets
- banners and signs
- home decor items
Tips for Adding an Applique Detail-
- The most common way to apply an appliqué detail is with a satin stitch. A blanket stitch, herringbone and free motion stitching are also great choices.
- When starting out, choose a simple shape. This will make the process easier as you build your skills.
- Clip art translates well as do basic drawings, like those found in children’s picture or coloring books.
- If your finished project will be laundered, always pre-wash the fabric(s) prior to adhering fusible web.
- When appliqueing on knit fabric use a lightweight interfacing on the back of the knit to help stabilize. A firm base produces the nicest look when doing decorative stitching.
- Test your decorative stitch on scrap fabric to get the desired length and width of the stitch to your liking before using it on your project.
- For more interest and dimension consider layering applique onto itself.
- Remember to trace letters onto your fusible web backwards so they will be going the correct direction when viewed from the front
- Tools Needed – A design, template plastic, cardboard, or freezer paper for tracing designs, fusible web, tear away stabilizer, pressing cloth, X-Acto knife or small craft scissors, fabric, and 40wt embroidery thread.
- Where To Find – Almost anything can be used for an applique. Clip art on the computer, or pictures in children’s coloring books. You can also design your own applique.
- When To Use – Use an applique detail to beautify or add character to your clothing, quilts, or other craft projects.
- Types – Clean finished edge, raw edge, and reverse applique.
Click the below pictures for additional applique projects:
Hello! Are you new here?
Do you want to learn more about sewing? Be sure to sign up for our newsletter HERE and never miss a stitch! Daily Sewing Tips, Everyday Projects and Fantastic Inspiration delivered straight to your mailbox!
Bonus– free download with newsletter sign up.