Welcome to National Sewing Month 2016! If you’ve been with me since the early days you know that National Sewing Month holds a special place in my heart and I like to celebrate in style.
In past years, I have tested your sewing IQ, highlighted designers that inspire us with their favorite tools and I’ve challenged you to work with scraps but this year I want to do something different. I want to celebrate you!
Back in 1982, President Ronald Reagan, under Proclamation #4976, declared September to be National Sewing Month and recognized that “Tens of millions of Americans sew at home.” Well, we want to see what you are making!! (You can read more here.)
So, this year The Sewing Loft will host a Show & Tell featuring you! Think of it as getting together with a few of your closest sewing friends or local group and sharing your latest finish.
National Sewing Month 2016 Schedule of Events
- September 9th: Sponsors & Challenges issued.
- September 12th – 22nd: Linky’s Open & Nominate for Viewer’s Choice
- September 23rd- 30th: Vote for favorites in each of the categories
- October 1st – Winners announced
The Viewer’s Choice Challenge winners will win one of these four great prizes-
- Crazy8 Cuddle® Kit Dolce Luxe- Includes fabrics for top, binding & backing- plus a free pattern from Shannon Fabrics. Valued at $100.
- Latest and greatest sewing products & tools from Dritz. Valued at $100.
- Some of my favorite products from Fairfield World. Valued at $100.
- 2 years membership to the Modern Quilt Guild. Valued at $50
- A one month subscription to Ankara & Lace that includes 3 yards of african print fabric!
*Before I get into even more prizes, I must give a big SHOUT OUT to all of our fantastic sponsors! Without their constant support and generosity, NSM would not be possible. Please be sure to stop by their shops to find a special fabric, thread or book and treat yourself. They love being your go to suppliers for all your fabric and sewing needs!
Winners for these prizes will be randomly selected from everyone that participates by sharing a finished project during National Sewing Month 2016!
- Stonehenge Gradation strip back and 4 Gradation chip packs from Northcott Fabrics.
- 3 lucky stitchers will receive 2 patterns from MayChappell. (Winners choice.)
- Stash Books is sending 2 Books: Sew Home and the Elephant and I pattern to one lucky stitcher.
- 2 lucky stitchers will receive a jelly roll of Chatsworth designed by Emily Taylor Designs for Riley Blake from my stash.
- One lucky winner will keep their sewing notes organized with a copy of the Patchwork Planner & Journal from Patchwork Posse.
- Create something fun with a 5 pack of patterns from Amy’s Creative Side. (Winners choice.)
- Add a personal touch to your projects with this embroidery design pack from Sue O’Very Designs.
- A one year membership to the Scrappy Girls Club SWAP’s.
- 2 Modern Basics 5″ charm packs by Michael Miller Fabrics need a new home.
To Participate & Win-
- Make a project during National Sewing Month for one of the category challenges.
- Write a post or share a photo, featuring your finished project.
- Visit all other stitchers sharing their work and be inspired!
I can hardly wait to see what everyone stitches up. Please remember there are several challenges and you are welcome to participate in all with different projects.
- Technique & Tools Category – Showcase a special technique or tool as the focal point of your project.
- Sewing Shapes Category – Projects in this group must showcase a specific shape such as hexagons.
- Scrappy Fabrics Category – Participants are encouraged to express themselves through color and pattern but utilizing fabric scraps.
- Gifting Handmade Category – Share your love of sewing by stitching something to give as a gift or to charity.
So put those thinking caps on and start stitching. All National Sewing Month 2016 Challenges will be live & accepting entries on Monday September 12th, 2016.
Hello! Are you new here?
Do you want to learn more about sewing? If so, be sure to sign up for our newsletter HERE and never miss a stitch! Daily Sewing Tips, Everyday Projects and Fantastic Inspiration delivered straight to your mailbox!
Bonus– free download with newsletter sign up.