With the weather changing everyday here in NC, there is no time like the present to make a few of my favorite simple maxi skirt patterns to add to my closet. This skirt allows for easy dressing no matter what mother nature sends my way. All it takes to create your own custom skirt pattern is a few simple measurements and before you know it, you’ll be stitching this skirt up in every color under the sun. It’s sure to become a basic staple in your wardrobe!
Simple Maxi Skirt
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- knit fabric 60″ wide
- 1″ non roll elastic
**Note: The amount of fabric and elastic will depend on your measurements.
- sewing machine/thread
- scissors or a rotary cutter & mat
- ball point needle
- flexible tape measure
- coordinating thread
Before we get started a few basic body measurements are needed.
- measure hips at the widest point
- measure waist
- measure from waist to the desired skirt length
Now, it’s time to draft your paper pattern.
Slash & spread your paper pattern as marked below to create fullness and shape.
- slash the pattern from the bottom to the top waist but not completely apart.
- spread pattern to accommodate desired fullness at hem and hip measurement.
- re-draw waistline and hem into a smooth curve.
**This how to is focused around using a serger. But do not worry- you can use a standard machine set to a stretch stitch. Refer to your owner’s manual.
- Pin and cut your pattern. Remember to line up your grain line. Cutting the fabric is super important so, please take your time!
- Match the front and back of skirt with right sides together; stitch side seams.
- Cut elastic 3″ smaller than waist measurement. Fold in half and join together with zig zag. Stretch elastic to fit along wrong side of fabric and attach. Stretch elastic evenly while sewing. Fold over to wrong side of fabric, stretch elastic evenly and straight stitch in place along bottom edge. *Quick Tip: Now is the perfect time to slip in a label if you have one.
- Hem time: I give my hem a quick spin around the serger machine and had planned to turn it up but decided to leave it long and unfinished for a casual look.
Important things to remember when making a simple maxi skirt pattern:
- Be sure to purchase a knit fabric for your skirt.
- You can fold your fabric in half when cutting out your pattern.
- Consider your walking stride pattern.
- Make sure to leave ample room in the sweep/hem area to allow for climbing stairs.
Hello! Are you new here?
Do you want to learn more about sewing? If so, be sure to sign up for our newsletter HERE and never miss a stitch! Daily Sewing Tips, Everyday Projects and Fantastic Inspiration delivered straight to your mailbox!
Bonus– free download with newsletter sign up.