Last week, I shared a sewing technique for creating a Reverse Applique. Today, is all about finishing the project. This ruffle flag pillow is the perfect way to freshen up my outdoor space and summer naps in the sun!
Ruffle Flag Pillow
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- scrap fabric
- pillow insert
- sewing machine
- To start, I measured my pillow length x width and added 1″. (this added my 3/8″ seam allowance, plus some room for the fullness.)
- I created my stars in the upper left corner using the Reverse Applique technique.
- To create the stripes, I alternated ripped strips of white and red fabric 1 3/4″ wide.
- Using a straight stitch on the longest setting, I stitched down the center of each strip leaving long tails of thread on each end. To gather the ruffles, I pulled the top thread from each side and “scrunched” to length.
- Pin ruffles in place and attach with a standard straight stitch in matching thread color. To keep things neat, I folded under each end. Continue as needed to achieve design.
- Sandwich front and back of pillow cover; right sides together. Starting at one side, straight stitch all around pillow; leaving enough room to insert pillow form.
- Clip corners; turn right side out; press and insert form.
- Slip stitch closed with needle and thread.
Hello! Are you new to The Sewing Loft?
If so, I’m glad you stopped by and hope that something has inspired you to keep your needle moving! Don’t miss a single project and subscribe via email HERE! Bonus- free embroidery pattern with sign up.
Another great way to connect with me is via Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Google+. I’m looking forward to getting to know you and creating together!
Comments & Reviews
so cute! Perfect for 4th of July!
In love with this!! The ruffles are adorable! Would be super delighted if you could join us & link up at Mop It Up Mondays:
Love this pillow – reverse applique and ruffles are just brilliant!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
Lindy @ Itsy Bitsy Paper says
This is great! I hope you will link up to my Patriotic Project Parade!
Steph @ Crafting in the Rain says
Love the ruffle stripes!
Came out great! Thanks for sharing
Have you heard about our Craftastic Competition? I’d love for you to enter in it! Lots of prizes to be won too!
Very cute!! I LOVE the ruffles. Thanks for sharing this at Romance on a dime!! Pinning this.
Your new page looks amazing!!
I featured you today~ for 4th of July!