This post contains affiliate links to products I own, use and love.
- a traditional quilting block that is made with 9 simple squares.
The 9 patch is a very basic block that is perfect for beginners and is considered to be a building block for skills. From keeping your lines straight, to nesting seams, this foundation block is one that you will want to master! Once the basic technique is mastered the possibilities are endless.
Be sure to use these easy tips to keep your block looking it’s best.
To create the 9 patch quilt block you will need:
Alternating patterns; join 3 squares together to create a strip using 1/4″ seam allowance. Repeat to create 3 strips.
Alternating sections to create a pattern; join each strip with 1/4″ seam allowance to create the finished block.
Here are a few different simple design layout options…
The Quilting Foot with guide bar will help you create perfect seam allowance every time!
Since this quilt block features straight lines, it is extremely important to align and nest your seams.
Starch is your friend! It will help create crisp lines and prevent shifting.
Quilting rulers, a rotary cutter and self healing mat will allow you to cut accurate clean and straight lines in one pass.
9 Patch Quilt Block Stats-
- Size: Varies based on the size of square used.
- What to make: Quick quilts, Starry Night Quilt Sampler
- Supplies: Charm squares, jelly rolls and layer cakes. These can all be purchased at your local quilt shop or here on line.
- Additional Notes: These flat head pins are perfect for keeping your seams perfectly aligned. Find them at your local shop or here on line.
Click the below pictures to for Block of the Month series:
Hello! Are you new here?
Do you want to learn more about sewing? If so, be sure to sign up for our newsletter HERE and never miss a stitch! Daily Sewing Tips, Everyday Projects and Fantastic Inspiration delivered straight to your mailbox!
Bonus– free download with newsletter sign up.